JJRC X9 Heron GPS Gimbal Camera Drone Flight Test Review
This brushless GPS drone includes a 2 axis stabilized gimbal for smooth in-flight video. Find it here
– GPS and optical flow position hold drone.
– Automatic return to home and landing on command, loss of signal, and low battery.
– Altitude hold.
– 1080p 30fps camera with onboard micro SD card recording capability.
– Flight controller includes a built-in WiF relay with antenna for improved FPV reception.
– 2 axis stabilized gimbal.
– 3S 13.05V 1000mah LiHV battery.
– Real time FPV video may be viewed on your phone via the "Enjoy Fly" app available on Play here or iTunes here. App also enables follow me and circle position capability.
– Requires 802.11ac WiFi capable phone to utilize the app with the drone. Unfortunately not everyone has an 802.11ac WiFi capable phone. Make sure to verify that your phone is indeed 802.11ac WiFi capable before purchasing.
– Unstable GPS position hold. Encountered toilet bowl effect instability repeatedly during these its flights, even after multiple compass calibrations. The video ends with an uncontrolled flyaway on low battery.
– Up and down gimbal control was very jerky. Additionally, the gimbal tends to tilt slightly as the flight progresses.
– Circle and follow me capability is only available if the drone is flown without the controller, using your phone to control it via WiFi.
– 225 meters FPV range was somewhat short for a relay controlled drone.
– Short flight time of about 8 minutes (much less than the advertised 16 minutes). I also noticed intermittent and unexplained voltage drops during the flight.
This video along with every video of the Quadcopter 101 channel was produced and edited with VSDC Free Video Editor. You may download this excellent, and no kidding "free" video editor here
Affiliate links: At no cost to you, I do receive a small commission for sales resulting from these links.
"Awel" by stefsax
is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
music was shortened to fit length of video.